Thursday, January 25, 2007

Mr. Shilingo - Prompt #1

In my seminar class, I was given a journal prompt. I thought the topic might be appropriate to include in this blog. My professor basically wants to know who was my favorite teacher and why. I mentioned in the previous entry Mr. Shilingo, my high school physics teacher. That was one of my most enjoyable classes I have ever taken. I remember always being able to pay attention almost to the extent that he could be called captivating. As I try to remember why, I compare my self as a student back then to students that I am being exposed to. One thing that definitely sets me apart from students here is the level of curiosity I had. That is what appealed to me in that class. He was so knowledgeable and I was convinced that he knew his material very well. There is an important distinction to be made between some teachers. Some teachers know their class well. Some know their subject well. And some teachers are brilliant and have a well rounded perspective many of the arts and sciences. The latter teachers are the ones that inspire. They can take a subject and connect it to other subjects in a subtle way but a way which convinces the students to pay attention. Mr. Shilingo was such a teacher. However, just because I was captivated doesn’t mean he would be successful in an urban setting. Students here need something else. They can't get inspired because it seems like they don’t know how. They are missing something very essential for the foundation of the idea of “love of learning.” Maybe it is basic skills or discipline. Maybe its about expectations. Whatever the reason, being inspirational isn’t enough.

One thing I would criticize Mr. Shilingo for is his zero tolerance for students that don’t seem to be motivated. If you know me then you know I think students are left with the responsibility of choosing to be engaged but scolding an unmotivated student is not going to suddenly motivate them. It might make you feel better because you are venting about your frustration but it doesn’t work. I want to be as captivating as he was while also being able to control frustrations and figure out something that might positively affect students’ motivation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr. Schilingo was definitely a inspired teacher. He was excited about his material and I think this is what lead to his disappointment in students who were not only unexcited but just refused to try. Reading this and your other comments forced me to really think about how do you teach someone who doesn't want to learn, someone who refuses to try. Thinking about it makes me kind of mad at my professors for being such shitty teacher with a lecture hall full of student who actually want to learn. I know Mr. schlingo definitely changed my and your life but there were alot of kids who would draw a picture of a calculator and turn it in for a test. And mr. schilingo also had high standards he a sided asignificant amount of homework every night but his dissappointment was the only punishment you received for not doing it. One thing he always was toren about was notes. Give them printed out notes so it is easy to keep up but if you do don't have to write anything to remain engaged. If i could give some advice now i would say to print out a handout before with blanks that would be filled in during class. I also think his open notebook policy during tests could be in proved. I think the best system for his type of class is to have the students bring in a piece of paper they made the night before while studying for the test with all the formulas they think they will need for the exam. Turn in the paper with the exam. I guess this comment has no real point to it just a long refection on Mr. Schilingo and how great i thought he was. The fact i have suggestions about how he could have improved the class when i took them goes to show you how much i have thought about his classes. One of the great thing about his classes was how he taught conceptual application. Just a passing thought but maybe you could motivate a class by making the amount taught based on material covered not just about filling the time slot. Well this is really the most scatter brained commment i have every left. I think mr. schilingo retired. i can't find his email on the high school web site.

Mr. Gaffey said...

I like the idea of handing out my notes with blanks, at least for a while. This would give them the opportunity to learn how I solve math problems while giving the some notes for the test.

By the way, college professors annoy me for those same reasons.