Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Evaluation #1

The following are comments made by my supervisor on an evaluation form during my first lesson. In italics are what I will try to do to improve.

Lesson plan extremely well written. Good objectives, shows knowledge of standards. Informal assessment being used.

Using calculators appropriate for lesson and allowed students to see concept.

You used a lot of critical thinking concepts in your lesson but didn't allow them to be fully developed.
This criticism is hard to talk about. How can I allow them to develop the concepts more? It's is to say it but helping me do it is another story. I guess I could allow more time for my intro activity of folding paper. The concept was that exponential functions grow or decay at increasing or decreasing rates. When folding a piece of paper in half over and over again, the thickness increases slowly at first but since the thickness doubles every time, at some point it explodes. If I put them in groups and let them collect data themselves they may have been able to see the increasing thickness even after you could no longer fold a piece of paper.

Students well behaved, no management problem. It appeared that only a portion of students were actually involved in a lesson.
I agree that I can affect a larger group of students if I create a classroom of active learning but there is no way that I can get to everyone. Education needs to change drastically if we are going to reach all students.

Idea of handing out personal "notes" is a good idea.
This is a response to my idea of making up notes (my way) and then having blanks that they fill in as I lecture. This idea is from Mr. Shilingo, my high school physics teacher.

Make sure you talk to the entire class, you were taking responses mostly from right side of room.
When I am teaching, I am constantly trying to think about where my lesson is going, how am I going to ask some question or how much time do I have. Eventually, I need to sort of go on auto pilot where my focus is on the entire class rather than my lesson. Also, I am going to write names on small slips of paper and ask questions to specific students picked randomly.

You need to give students time to catch up with you. You presented some of the material too quickly. Give them time to respond.
I have been working on this by pausing after I do an example or by asking if I need to slow down.

Try moving around the room to check on their work. See if they are able to follow along.
I love moving around the room while I teach but the classroom I am in is definitely not setup to allow me to do this easily. The room is packed with desks with two teacher desks in the front of the room, severely limiting my mobility. My room would be setup much different. I would like to have my desk in the back or off to the side (so it's not the focus) and I would like to have the desks pointing inward either like a v of a horseshoe. This would give me the mobility I need while creating a different environment where the teacher can move in and out of the spotlight.

You did ask for questions but no one raised any you moved on. It might be good to ask some and call on random students to see if they comprehend.
I will probably use slips of paper with the students' names written on them and randomly pick on students to answer questions. When I try this now, I don't really get any responses.

Classwork question was a great critical thinking question. May have been good to have pairs work together to solve.
Pair sharing is almost impossible to do in these classes. They have no clue how to move into pairs or why it is even necessary. With rigid structure it takes too much time and without the structure they either don't move or they end up discussing with many more people.

A excellent (B)good C satisfactory D fair F poor

No comments: